Born in Glasgow, in 1922, the artist in oils, gouache and pastel, David McLeod Martin studied at Glasgow School of Art from 1940 to 1942 and from 1946 to 1948, his attendance being interrupted by the war when he served in the Royal air Force. His teachers in Glasgow included David Donaldson, Hugh Adam Crawford and Ian Flemming. Macleod Martin entered teaching and became Head of Art at the Hamilton Grammar School until 1983 when he retired early to paint full time. A member of the RSW and Royal Glasgow Institute of the Fine Arts. he was awarded the Royal Glasgow Institute’s Mabel Mackinley Award, 1990. and the May Marshall Brown award in 1984. McLeod Martin showed in number of mixed and solo exhibitions at the RSA, The RA and the Compass Gallery as well as in other galleries elsewhere in the UK. His work is held by the Scottish Arts Council, Scottish Television, the City of Edinburgh Art Collection and other notable collections.